If you have employees, or trainers who are self-employed and working on a labour only basis under your control or supervision, or persons under a work experience or training scheme, or voluntary helpers you need to include Employers Liability cover as well. Your insurers are member of ELTO so you need to provide additional information to them.

What is ELTO?

The Employers' Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) is an independent industry body who’s aim is to assist the insurance industry to meet its obligations by aiding those who have suffered injury or disease in the workplace to effectively and efficiently trace the relevant insurer.

What does this mean for you?

If you employ staff who are individually paid more than £503 per month you have to provide your Employers' Liability insurer with specific information. The majority of this information is already held on your policy. However, they do require your Employers' Reference Number (the ERN is also commonly referred to as 'Employer PAYE Reference'. This is the reference number provided by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under which your employees' income tax and NI contributions are recorded.

You will need to enter your ERN when you take out your policy

Get in Touch